Saturday 14 January 2017

Monotype, the saviour


I again ran down and boshed out some fires, different consistencies so I can play with them and find a suitable balance.


The first one came out on top, not being too intense and being too barren. I found that the draught fire line work being left underneath helped to give the flames some energy, like seeing the frames before and after in an animation. Messing with the colour, I really like that the scene was opened up, so how about I use black to have them rendered in darkness, and just the fires glow as a light source. This also contains the scene, the eye knows to circulate the scene within the glow of the flame. Time to address the shading on the characters, now having a set light source.


I tried to re create the hatched line work, like the original, using digital lines, but it was very apparent that they were added afterwards, looking out of place against the original. With that I just filled in the shadows, and applied a line halftone filter. This really worked out, with those sections being dense and darker than i would achieve having hand drawn it. Thanks to this they really come accross as shadows, blending in to the darkness. That draws this image to a close. I don't know how I feel about this one now, It might be the disappointments along the process of making it. I feel like it is a suitable outcome, but just cant really bring myself to like it. Ill sit on this one, see how I feel in a while. Its time to wrap things up with a cover and reverse design.

No comments:

Post a Comment