Thursday 21 April 2016

OUIL 406 summary

1. What have you learned about visual communication during this module and how effectively do you think you have applied these ideas?

  • It is crucial that i continue to explore medium, my work looks all the better for it, and keeps things exciting to look at than just flat colours. I understand the process of stripping an image down to its basic elements (semiotics), but have become even more so aware that the process doesn't fit what i strive for in illustration. Even in saying that, i have gained said knowledge and will be able to apply it when i return to such subject matter.And will help when i'm building a detailed image, using a stripped down version to inform my composition.

2. What approaches to/methods of image making have you developed and how have they informed your concept development process?
  • As previously stated, i need to keep exploring and playing with medium , thanks to this project i've started to incorporate both more of a range when making concepts, and also not being afraid to implement them in my outcomes. I have also learnt new ways of working, getting to grips with illustrator and using a shape driven process. And not forgetting animation, its a process that i dislike doing but love the outcome, quite the opposite of my vector experience, but its something i need to consistently return to, it'll only improve my craft and widen my portfolio.
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
  • Exploration of materials is my big take away, my way forward is to add to the load and practice their implementation, tightening the overall outcome ensuring that i don't just get lost in a free for all of materials in my work that looks messy, i almost had that issue with my final poster, but my peers kept me grounded and i need to keep that in mind. A big deal for me in this project has also been my use of colour, i am quite proud of my choices, especially seen as i didn't use colour reference and created it all of my own accord, i need to consider more than vibrant and contrasting tones from here on out, thinking of tones that sit happily next to each other.
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
  • I am quite the pig headed fellow, i feel i'm just hard wired to dislike shape based imagery, i really want to like it, and be able to use it. Maybe this is the problem, i'm trying to force an interest, making things worse, or possibly i should just come to terms with the fact that it just isn't for me, and not let my disinterest annoy me the way that it does. Also, i need to just stop running away with ideas, i really need to stop and consider the effectiveness of what i'm creating, i get caught up in muddled ideas that are in dire need of streamlining. And i need to loosen my own practice, try not to get caught up in what is a "James Moore" drawing, resulting in everything looking cookie cutter.
5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
  1. Switch things up style wise, even if its the slightest difference, i don't want to restrict myself here because i've decided i only use one shape of eye. Ill have a healthy range and more interesting imagery.
  2. I think i fancy making things at a bigger scale, i always work in a sketch book or on a screen. To quote myself "I want to blow shit up". This'll, again, switch things up a bit, it was interesting to make the A2 poster, having to think of the best means of filling the page with highlighter stripes, and taping pens together to speed things up, you don't get these issues with smaller scale, it just adds more to my repertoire.
  3. Focus my ideas, don't get ahead of myself, i might want to make worlds, but my clients wont. I need to think less me and more what the brief requires.
  4. Step out of my comfort zone, possibly instead of just drawing costume elements, i actually have a stab at making them and implementing them in my work to add an extra dimension.
  5. A very specific one here, but talking of adding an extra dimension, i wouldn't mind dabbling in 3D modelling again, its been a while and its a tool i'm very interested in adding it to my imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment