Wednesday 19 October 2016

Stylistic print tests

 So starting things of on a new section of the project, I had an inkling that I would like to create a book, I was quite sad that i never had the opportunity to flesh out the imagery from Orwells homeless experiences, but it certainly was good advice from Ben to hold off on them, as they would be great to use as a comic outcome. But that is getting ahead of myself, i simply wanted to play with some halftone and hatch work imagery, and a vivid image came to mind concerning one of the homeless experiences, so I thought i would play with that whilst the idea was fresh and then stick in to generating other possible ideas for the book, or even ideas for print. 



This is the original line work i created using both brush pen and fine liners, with a thumbnail to follow in the top right corner of the image. I feel like the head in the top left could have done with a little more strain for the shout, and also quite a bit bigger, but the size thing can be sorted digitally and this is just a test so it isn't the end of the world that i feel it should be different.


I did a really silly thing when creating the image, I didn't think to save any of the process to reflect on, so I'm just left with the outcome. Thinking of the two ink limit i created a layer for each tone, utilising orange and blue for this test. Overlapping the two and setting the blue layer to multiply I am given this...



Its very rough, I feel my lack of experience with gradients and halftones is showing with this. The line work on the floating homeless head and the Orwell in London section work nicely. Everything else just doesn't hit the mark for me. This means that if I want to achieve a standard I want, I need to experiment and practice a lot with halftone. This is especially clear on the police officers face, its too barren, not rendered to the standard i wanted. I created those halftones with the gradient tool and then the halftone filter, it possibly could be better to render with pencil, inks or paint and then apply the filter. But I'll mess with that at a later date, until then, Its time to crank out some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment