Friday 13 January 2017

Next spread, sensual stretchiness


So I need something to actually make with mono print. For this one I feel it is time to cover the prostitution events of orwell's diary entries. Originally, back on the editorial brief,  I thought about creating an image that focussed on a prostitute that had been denied payment, rendered to tears and left to spend the night in the streets. This would work for editorial, having a block of text to explain the context. A comic would also work for the same reasons, but the image on its own would just be a woman crying. So, rather than that, i focussed on an entry where orwell speaks of coming across a field of people having sex (an area of prostitution). I was uncomfortable with the idea of illustrating the literal image, so had to come up with something new.


This being that, coming back to a Flattie character, and a prostitute, the way Orwell talks about prostitution, it seemed quite common place, leading me to believe that there would have been members of the law getting involved. Focussing on the one set of characters, I felt I should really play with the proportions and forms again, using them to illustrate the workings of the act. Starting with the flattie, he is jagged, somewhat dominating, the paying party, he should seem to be the one in control, the prostitute on the other hand is doing her job, hence the looser body form, stretching to fit his harsher form. This also isn't supposed to be a romantic scene, the fellas giving in to his urges, the woman is trying to make a living, hence another reason why the forms should really differ to this extent.

 
I felt i captured the idea with the flatties body, but the prostitutes body wasn't quite expressing this, so I created another, bendier, version of the scene. I also had to make a different face for the prostitute. Upon seeing the draught drawing, a friend noted that she looked pained, and that the picture, in their words was "a bit rapey". Not really what I wanted the picture to say, so, a change was made.


As for the flatties face, I had a face drawn during the previous page that I knew instantly would be perfect for this spread, jagged, intimidating, creepy, just like his body.

No comments:

Post a Comment