Saturday 14 January 2017

Printing a farmer and a farmhouse


Im glad I had the little print induction time to test out on the design of the house, it helped me to make a far stronger image because of it, the individual elements are easier to pick out thanks to bordering them. I also decided to leave the door out unlike the sketch, as to leave the farmer to be placed in, allowing him to grow and still be visible on the second shouty image.  Also coming back to re printing without replacing the ink to get a different texture to the image, offered this print a little atmosphere, with the middle looking like a sort of foggy moody day, feeling quite appropriate for the tone of the scene. I ran this by a few peers and they seemed to agree that the middle would be the correct approach.




 To try and portray that this vague shape is a farmer, I gave him a little flat cap! It seems to be the big signifier for a British farmer, being called by some a farmer's cap. I only just realised that I pretty much have done the same thing with my policeman flattie characters, giving them hardhats with stars, and batons for signifiers, its interesting how these things are so engrained that I drew these costume elements on these characters without even giving it a moments thought. Coming back to the farmer, the monotype really pays off, especially for his screaming form. The original, being so rough seems unhinged, even in the still crossed arm pose, ready to explode. And that he does really taking advantage of his chosen to medium to get the point ac-cross.. because he's cross..

No comments:

Post a Comment