Tuesday 25 April 2017

Film society poster: Seven Samurai

This film is really cool... there we have it, thats my review.

So i really want to capture the badass element of the film, these seven samurai taking arms against the large raider group. I had a couple ideas that could get this idea across, something along the lines of showing the samurai in formation, taking arms. But then I thought to play with some symbolism, having the group towering over the opposition, monumental warriors fighting for good against evil.

I really wanted to capture a rural Japanese style for this one, relying on the brush pen, making numerous variations of the characters trying to capture the right quality of line.



I had handmade kanji in mind for this (Japanese text)




After all that, I found myself favouring the more rigid line work.





I couldn't be happier with this, the addition of cutout paper to use for the scenery really pays off and the type really came out nice. Still, it has its issues, the information on where to see the film was clearly an after thought, size and position wise. The crowd at the bottom is also quite unclear as to what they are, could have used a little more rendering.

No comments:

Post a Comment