Friday 13 January 2017

New pages, new faces

I didn't really cover this, but Im really proud of the faces I've used so far, they're so skeezy and horrid. It has become a thing that I'd quite like to become a focal point of the book, I really want to capitalise on the rottenness of some of the people surrounding Orwell, have their physical representation resemble how Orwell described these people. Case in point the subject matter of my next page. 

"The others all talked about sexual subjects, in a revolting manner. Tramps are disgusting when on this subject"-Orwell on his fellow down and outs.

So this time the scope is on his environment at the time, and not the overshadowing authority. 


My goal was to make the sleaziest, skeeziest looking man I could possibly make, taking quite a lot of attempts to really nail it. I realised through doing this task that I am essentially creating something akin to caricature art, so I really tried to stretch the characters features to the limits, make him real creepy. 

This lead to the conclusion of bulging, bloodshot eyes, a balding messy head of hair, crap facial hair, oh so sensual biting of the lip, and to top it all off, a beautiful double chin. All we needed now was some sort of physical manifestation of his perverse thoughts, hence the boobs. I Inked these with a brush pen to try to communicate that they are a separate entity to the character, but feel they may need to be highlighted in a different colour to really portray this. Speaking of the pen work, rather than use the halftone pattern to shade the character later on, I opted to use hatching to shade, in an effort to separate the homeless characters from the policemen, so as you may notice on the previous pages, the policeman is shaded in halftone, the hobo is hatched.

This just left an Orwell to be included, it didn't take much thought based on the above quote, he needed to look annoyed and bored, sick of hearing these men talk so crudely. Seen as he is in the same position as the homeless, i felt it was only right he be given the hatched look also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment